Wednesday, October 15, 2014


written by Alvin E. Catmull
Contributed By TracyCatmull · 2013-05-08
John Bradley Catmull was born July 6 1827 at Joselands Hunts, England. Susan Arbon was born May 30 1831 at Gravely, Cambridgeshire England. The first name being the first heir to join the church of JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS. The couple lived the life of a worthy latter day saint and suffering many trials in early pioneer life. The husband was baptized by Pratt D. Lyman on Aug. 20 1876 and confirmed the same day by George Farrel. The wife was baptized 16 Apr. 1874 she saw the light of the gospel two years and two months before her husband. The couple sailed from Liverpool, England, in June 1878 on the U.S. S.S. Wis. arriving in Logan about the 3rd of July of the same year. Locating in the 2nd ward and living there for about 3 years then location in Benson ward where they lived and died the husband suffered a paralytic stroke and lived only eight days causing his death on the 28th day Dec. 1906. The mother died from dropsy and brights disease and suffered many months and died on the 9th Oct. 1898
·         A few small corrections. The name of the village where John Bradley Catmull was born was Toseland. The missionary who baptized him was Platte de Alton Lyman.
JCCORY • 2013-07-14
Excerpts from the missionary journal of George Lionel Farrell – missionary to John Bradley Catmull family.
Contributed By TracyCatmull · 2013-05-08
George Farrell was born on Feb. 16, 1827, England. He filled a mission to England 1874-1876.
Monday, November 23, 1874. (Logan, Cache County, Utah) 10 O'C a.m. I received telegram from the hand of Bp. Preston this morning written from Salt Lake by our beloved President B. Young Jr. dated S. L. City Nov. 21, 1874, which reads as follows: W. B. Preston, Logan, Brother Geo. L. Farrell is called to go on a mission to the British Isles, to start soon as possible. I will let you know time of starting soon as I learn. Signed Brigham Young Jr.
Sunday, Oct. 3, 1875. (Nottingham) Geo. L. Farrell Prest. of Nottingham conference.
Saturday, December 4, 1875. (Offord) ...left and walked 2 1/2 miles to Gravely & visited Mrs. Susan Catmul a short time & then walked 2 1/2 miles to Little Papworth, and visited Brother James Triplow, found his wife very sick... we then bid her good bye & walked 2 1/2 miles to Gravely, and called upon Mr. James Story where we held our meetings in October, and his wife said that her Husband could not let us have his House to preach in for fear of being turned out of employ. She felt very sorry that things turned out so, but could not help it. We then walked 2 1/2 miles through the fields in the snow and mud, to Great Paxton, and arrived at Thos. Tingey's at 4:45 feeling real tired.
Sunday, December 5, 1875. (Great Paxton) Just one year from home to Day:
Monday, December 6, 1875. (Great Paxton) I arose this morning at 7:10 eat Breakfast, and walked 2 miles to Offord Darcy, where we found Brother Thomas Papworth awaiting us with his Horse trap (buggy). We, Bro. Lyman & I, jumped in and he drove us 3 miles to Buckden Station, where we booked for Rannds 12 miles and then walked 4 miles to Stanwick, and found the three saints and many friends very pleased to see us. Here like Offord and other places, we found the Devil Mad and raging furiously, and the Ministers had been distributing a lot of very low grade "Anti Mormon Tracts" among the people of the village, and telling all kinds of lies about us as a people. One woman by the name of Hillson felt awful bad, and told her son John, who had been attending our meetings, that if he persisted in going to the Mormon meetings that he would have to leave home, & the minister made a special prayer for him in meeting on Sunday last.
Tuesday, December 7, 1875. (Stanwick) 7:30 (evening) went to meeting and commenced by singing the Hymn on page 163. I offered prayer, and we sang the Hymn on page 154 after which I addressed the people for a little over one hour, and had good liberty the whole time. The young man John Hillson was present and felt splendid. He said that the minister's wife had met him and handed him a Tract against Mormonism, and tried to persuade him not to go to their meetings any more. He said the people was after him in every part of Town & felt that he was about the only popular man in Town. After dinner we all went down to Mr. Clarks and he played on his violin, his Daughters Lizzie and Annie on the Piano and Lilla on the Bass Viol, and they played some good pieces. Then we all sang hymns until 12 O'C midnight, and we had a real good time of enjoyment together. We had Mr. and Mrs. Hamp and three sons, Mrs. Baker and Mr. John Hillson present who does not belong to our Church, and they all felt real well. At 12 O'C we bid them all good night, and retired.
Friday, Jan. 28, 1876. (Nottingham) I arose at 8 O'C feeling splendid, and eat my Breakfast and packed my Satchel and at 10:5 a.m. Elder Goodliffe & myself booked per Great Northern, to Huntingdon 76 miles, and was met at the Station by Mrs. Lizzie King of Lodge Farm, and Miss Sophia Cattnell of Gravely. We then walked 2 miles to Lodge Farm, and took Dinner, and spent the afternoon and evening in preaching, and singing Mormon Hymns and songs, and Mr. & Mrs. King helped us all they could, and felt extremely pleased that we had come to visit them, & they gave me an invitation to call upon them often as possible, & stay one, two, or three days with them. I thanked them for their kind offer and promised to call as often as possible, and at 11:20 p.m. I prayed with the family and we retired.
Saturday, Jan. 29, 1876. (Lodge Farm Hunts) Bro. Goodliffe and I slept splendidly until 8 Q'C then arose and eat our Breakfast with a good relish. I then wrote a Letter to Sister Clarke of Stanwick in Northamptonshire stating that Bro. Goodliffe & myself would be there and held meeting on Wednesday next (Feb. 2nd). We then eat our Dinner and walked over to Gravely and visited Mrs. Cattnell & family, who was very pleased to see us. We stopped with them till 4:30 and then walked back to the Lodge Farm to supper, after which we sang and talked to the folks for a long time and they felt pleased to hear us. We then took turns in reading a few Chapters from the Book of Mormon, and showed them that the writings of Nephi were literally being fulfilled in these our Days.
Sunday, Jan. 30, 1876. (Lodge Farm Hunts.) Bro. Goodliffe and I slept till 8 O'C this morning. After Breakfast we in company with Mr. and Mrs. King walked to Great Paxton 6 miles to meeting. Called at Mr. Papworth's but found no one at home. At 2:30 the people came into Bro. Tingeys and we held meeting and partook of the Sacrament, then Bro. Goodliffe Preached to the people 40 minutes, and I then bore Testimony to his Remarks, and to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and closed our meeting. At 6 O'clock the people gathered in and we opened our meeting, and I occupied 50 minutes and Brother Goodliffe 20 minutes, and enjoyed much of the spirit and the people bid us good night feeling well Satisfied with our remarks 3 persons promised us to be Baptized very Soon and others felt Satisfied that it was the duty of all to be Baptized. At 11:30 p.m. we eat supper and retired feeling tired especially Bro. Goodliffe.
Monday, January 31, 1876. (Great Paxton) At 2 O'clock this morning I was awakened by Goodliffe shaking me, and saying he was very sick, and wished me to light the candle and administer to him. I immediately jumped up and was in the act of getting out of bed over his feet, and had only just taken my hand off his shoulder as he sat up in bed, when I heard an awful rattle down the stairs which was close to the head of our bed, then the stairs door burst open and I heard some one groan. I felt for Br. G. but he was gone. I therefore rund down stairs and found him sitting on the cold Brick floor. I asked him if he was hurt. He groaned and asked me where he was. I told him that he was down stairs. Said he how did I get here? I then called Bro. Tingey to bring a light. He did so, and we found his face covered with blood. I and Bro. Tingey laid our hands upon him and administered to him. We then got him to Bed, and I went to work and made some water hot & washed his feet & made him a cup of strong Ginger Tea, and bathed his face & he went to sleep. At 7 O'C I woke and asked him how he felt & he said much better. I then arose and got breakfast & started to Peterborough in Company with Sister Tingey. Then walked 6 miles to Glinton & called upon Mr. Henry Arbon, Nephew of Sister Tingey. We were kindly received by them all. I preached to them till a late hour and retired at 11:45 to sleep with Mr. Arbon, and after we got to bed he could not rest for asking me questions. I talked to him till I went to sleep & then he waked me up to ask me more questions. In the morning I talked to him again, and he cried and told me he firmly believed the Gospel, and promised to come and hear me preach if I come that way again, and Said he would make me comfortable any time I wished to call on him.
Tuesday, Feb. 1, 1876. (Clinton, Northamptonshire) I and Sister Tingey walked 1 mile to Helpstone Station on Midland Railroad and road 5 1/2 miles to Peterborough and went to the Infirmary to see Fred. Arbon who had met with a serious accident on the R. R. Machine house & had all the flesh taken off one leg by the spokes of a large driving wheel catching him between them and the wall. He had been dangerously ill, but was now thought out of danger. He is a Brother to Thomas Arbon who lives with Wm. Toombs of Logan. We then bid him good-bye and took train for Offord 22 miles. I called & got dinner at Brother Papworth's then walked 2 miles to Paxton & found Bro. Goodliffe much improved. We talked till supper time about the Gospel and retired at 9:50 feeling good.
Friday, Feb. 4, 1876. (Stanwick) ...1 walked to Rannds Station with Bro. Goodliffe, seen him safely there then returned to Stanwick, making 8 miles. After taking Tea with Mr. Clarke & family, I went down to Sister Bakers and put on my Baptizing Clothes, and about One Mile out of Town and Baptized John Hilson, tho people got wind of it in some way & followed us by the score, but we walked past the place where we Baptized on Wednesday evening into a field where a Clear Brook ran through, & found a splendid place and Baptized him, and walked back to Town meeting the folks in Dozens bidding them good night as we passed & they followed us back to Town & Hurrahd us for about an hour. We all sat in the house rejoicing over our victory. After the people had quieted down, I Ordained Bro. William Hamp to the Office of an Elder & Confirmed John Hillson into the Church, and then walked up to Mrs. J. Clark's and spent a pleasant evening.
Wednesday, Feb. 23rd, 1876. (Langley Mill) ...I also received a letter from Sister Clark at Stanwick, stating that they were having real good meetings at Stanwick, and that their minister had been raving in his Pulpit about us, and that he had given notice that he would deliver a sermon on Polygamy, and prove from the Bible that it is wrong, and that he started to London the next day, she supposed to buy his sermon, but the news had just come down to Stanwick stating that he was very ill, and not able to get back home again. I hope while he is sick that he will reflect upon his past conduct towards the Saints.
Thursday, April 13, 1876. (Wymondham) (6,000 Inhabitants) I arose at 5:30 a.m. had breakfast at Brother H. A. Reeve's and at 6:47 walked to the station and booked to Cambridge 58 miles, arrived there at 10 O'C and booked to Huntingdon 19 miles, and walked 3 miles to Lodge Farm in the Parish of Godmanchester, arrived at Mr. Wm. King's at dinner time, having walked through the snowstorm from Huntingdon to the farm. I eat dinner like a hungry man would. After dinner I read and preached to Mr. King and his wife Lizzie until bedtime, when I prayed with them and retired for the night feeling very tired. It has snowed all day to day.
Friday, April 14, 1876. (Lodge Farm) I arose this morning at 7 O'C feeling well. Found it still snowing and melting. The snow is nearly a foot deep. After breakfast I wrote a letter to Bp. Roskelley and one to Bro. George Barber of Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah, and in the evening I walked down to Godmanchester with Mrs. King and attended a meeting in the Baptist Chapel, and listened to their service of song, which was made up of song and connective readings illustrative of the Life of the Prophet Elijah. Some few of the songs were pretty good, while the others were very poor. The singers were young and did not keep very good time. We walked home and retired at 10 O’C p.m.
Saturday, April 15, 1876. (Lodge Farm) This is a very find morning. The snow is going off very fast. I feel well. After breakfast Mr. Catmul "father to Lizzie King" came in and I preached the gospel to him for about 3 hours. And after dinner him and Lizzie and I walked down to Godmanchester to market, and on our way there and back I had another good talk to him, and he felt well pleased with what I said, and promised to come to meeting on Sunday. After tea I and Mr. and Mrs. King walked about one mile with him for company. We then returned to Lodge Farm and on our way back I talked with them about the gospel and they both said they believed it. I then told them they ought to be baptized and they both said they were quite ready. Therefore as soon as we got home we changed our clothing and I went out and baptized them in the Large Pond at the back of the house, after which we sat and sang till bedtime. I then attended prayers and retired feeling well.
Sunday, April 16, 1876. (Lodge Farm) I arose early and eat my breakfast at Wm. King's and when I bid them good-bye, Lizzie and him handed me a shilling each, and I walked over to Great Paxton (6 miles) to Brother Thomas Tingeys, got dinner, after which the people gathered in and we opened our meeting at 2:30 by singing, prayer by Bro. James Triplow. We then proceeded to confirm William and Elizabeth Ann King. George L. Farrell being mouth in the ceremony, after which we administered the Sacrament. I then arose and preached upon the first principles of the gospel for 65 minutes. I then closed the meeting with prayer. At 6 O'C p.m. we met again and opened meeting with singing and prayer, After which I arose and preached 75 minutes to the people with very great liberty. All listened with great attention and expressed themselves well satisfied. After meeting I walked 1 1/2 miles with Bro. Papworth and Triplow and then returned to Paxton and slept at Bro. Thomas Tingey's.
Monday, April 17, 1876. (Gt. Paxton) After tea Bro. Thos. Papworth came in and we had a pleasant chat together, and then we walked down to Offord Darcy & took supper with Bro. Papworth and read a Chapter and attended Prayers and retired at 10:30 p.m. feeling real tired having walked about 16 miles to day.
Baptisms Performed in 1876 (page 263)
April 15 William King
“ “ Elizabeth King
April 18 Susan Catmul
“ “ Sophia Catmul
Tuesday, April 18, 1876. (Offord Darcey) I slept till 7 O’C this morning and felt real well and rested. After breakfast I showed Mrs. Papworth and Julia the daughter, my photograph album, and had a pleasant chat with them. They were both very kind to me and did all they could to make me comfortable. At 11:30 I bid them good-bye and walked to Graveley 2 1/2 miles and took dinner with Mr. John Catmull and family. After dinner I walked to Lodge Farm 3 miles and took tea with Brother William King and wife and Mrs. Susan Catmull who had walked over from Graveley to be baptized. After tea I went out and baptized her in the beautiful Pond behind the barn yard, and after confirming her she walked home in company with William King "her son-in-law" and at 8 O'C p.m. he returned with Miss Sophia Catmull who had walked over for me to baptize her. I therefore changed my clothing and went out and baptized her in the same Pond. I then confirmed her, after which we sat and sang until 10:35 p.m. I then attended prayers and retired to rest as tired as I wanted to be.
Wednesday, April 19, 1876. (Lodge Farm, Hunts.) I arose at 5:30 this morning feeling splendid. After breakfast walked to Godmanchester station in company with Sister Lizzie King and Sophia Catmull, and at 8:50 I took train for Rannds, on the Midland R. R. and walked to Stanwick by way of the town of Rannds making 22 miles in all
Saturday, May 27, 1876. (Sheepshed) (page 2, diary 2) ...wrote a letter to Mrs. E. King at Godmanchester and one to Sister Sophia Catmull at Graveley, and one to Bro. Thos. Tingey at Paxton.
Thursday, June l5, l876. (Stanwick) ...and walked 3 miles to Offord Station & Booked to Huntingdon 3 miles & walked 3 miles to Lodge Farm. Met Bro. John Parry, Prest. of the Norwich Conference at Huntingdon & took him with me to Lodge Farm. I talked about one hour, & then walked 2 l/2 miles to the Gr. Eastern Station & Booked to Cambridge 20 miles and from there to Ely Station l2 miles, where I met Sister Sophia Catmull. We then walked 2 l/2 miles to Barham Cottages, to Mr. Thomas Chandler's who had written to me to come out to baptize him.
Saturday, June 17, 1876. ...Walked 2 1/2 miles to the station and booked to Huntingdon 32 miles and walked 2 1/2 miles to Lodge Farm in company with Sophia Catmul, who has come down to attend our camp meeting on Sunday. After dinner we enjoyed ourselves by talking and singing until 3:45 p.m. when Elder P. D. Lyman arrived from Peterboro feeling splendid. We were all very pleased to see him and he to see us. In the evening Mr. Isaac Reed from the adjoining farm came up to Bro. King's and we had a splendid time together until 10:30 when we attended prayers and retired to rest.
Sunday, June 18, 1876. (Godmanchester) I arose this morning and eat Breakfast and walked to Graveley 3 miles & called upon Mr. John Catmull and family, who were very pleased to see me. Mr. Catmul had been out in the fields to watch for my coming for an hour. He promised to come to our meeting at Offord this evening. We then walked 2 1/2 miles to Paxton & held meeting at the House of Bro. Thos. Tingey. Partook of the sacrament and encouraged the Saints to be very faithful. We then Ordained William King to the office of a Priest. Geo. L. Farrell being mouth in the ceremony. We then elected & set Bro. Thomas Papworth apart to Preside over the Paxton Branch, all feeling well & very happy. We then closed our meeting & I went to Offord with Brother Papworth 2 miles and there met with the Stanwick Saints who had come 18 miles with a wagon load of strangers to attend our camp meetings today. At 2:30 p.m. the large Barn of Bro. Thomas Papworth being well filled we commenced our meeting by singing, prayer by Elder John Parry Prest. of Norwich Conference. The choir sang a lively hymn, and Elder Lyman arose & occupied 65 minutes in preaching upon the first principles of the Gospel, and he was greatly blessed in so doing & much of the spirit visited upon him & upon the people, and all listened with great attention. After the close we all went up into Bro. Papworth's Orchard and took Tea together, 27 Saints, & several strangers sat down to the bountiful repast. After tea we sat and sung songs & hymns until meeting time, when we invited the people into the Orchard and opened our meeting with singing, Prayer by Elder Lyman, after which G. L. Farrell arose and occupied 70 minutes in preaching upon the first principles of the Gospel, to about 300 persons, and truly the spirit of the Lord visited down mightily upon speaker & hearer, and all present was as attentive as they possibly could be. At the close of the meeting we distributed 50 copies of the only way to be saved, which were reached after as eagerly as possible. Over 500 persons were present at the two meetings, and I consider this one of the best days I have spent while on my mission. After the close of the meeting Mr. Catmul, and Mr. and Mrs. Reed gave in their names for Baptism, and each of them handed me a shilling to help me on my way. Bro. Wm. & Lizzie King also gave me a shilling each & Bro. Thos. Papworth gave me l0/- to help me on my way home. Mrs. Andrew next door to Bro. Tingey gave me a few stamps to help me, then little Katy gave me a penny, & I pray the Lord to bless them both for their kind feelings. Bro. & Sister Tingey gave me 13/- worth of Lace & Bobbins, but I intend sending them some money after I get home. After Bidding all the Stanwick Saints good bye, I & Bro. Lyman walked to Paxton to sleep.
Tuesday, June 20, 1876. I arose early and went all around and bid the Saints good bye. They all felt very bad about me leaving them especially Sister Clarke and family. I felt about as bad as I did when I left my own family. We then walked to Higham Ferres 2 miles and booked to Market Harboro, 27 miles and from there to Nottingham 44 miles reaching home at 6:45 p.m. Attended council meeting in the evening had a good time with the Elders.
George L. Farrell sailed on the ship "Idaho" with twenty returning missionaries 28 June 1876 from Liverpool. He returned to Logan, Utah, living at 210 Canyon Road in the house now owned by Lynn J. Olsen, father of Merlin and Phillip Olsen. (Lynn Olsen passed away April 1981.) He [George Farrell] was made president of the High Priest Quorum and traveled extensively visiting different wards such as Mendon where he mentioned James G. Willie was appointed and sustained President of the teachers of High Priests of Mendon, Sunday, July I, 1877. He visited Brigham ward at a conference and mentioned Abraham Hunsaker. He was later made bishop of Smithfield and settled there. He was instrumental in building the Smithfield Tabernacle. He had four wives. He married the last wife when he was about 70 years old and she was 18.
George L. Farrell's diaries are in the possession of Mrs. Lillie Hansen, 296 South 100 West, Smithfield, Utah. A film of the original record is found in the Church Historian's Office: XMSF #156, historical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment