Monday, October 20, 2014

Hannah Tucker Reed  baptized 18 Sep 1843

(love story):  Hannah was born in New Jersey in 1821.  Her father died when she was 11.  When she was 20, she fell in love with James McCowan.  They kept company for over a year and wanted to marry, but her mother did not care for James and persuaded Hannah to marry Alexander Jamison.  They were married by a Baptist minister and had a son named John.  When the baby was one-year-old, Hannah and her husband separated.  Around this time, Hannah and her mother heard of Joseph Smith and the restored gospel and both joined the Church.  Some time later, they took little John and joined other Mormons and sailed on the Ship Brooklyn around Cape Horn to California.  Hannah and her mother paid their way by taking care of the Captain’s wife and her baby as well as doing washing and ironing.  Hannah’s mother was blessed to be a midwife.  After being in San Francisco for two years, they went to the Sacramento area near the gold mines where they found and nursed a 12-year old orphan girl named Mary Martha Donnor, one of the survivors of the Donnor Party.  The doctors wanted to amputate her feet, but Hannah and her mother persuaded them hold off.  They helped her learn to walk on crutches.  In September, 1848, President Brigham Young called the Saints in California to come to Salt Lake, and Hannah and her mother answered the call.  They wanted very much to take the little Donnor girl with them, but her only relative, an uncle, did not want her to join the Mormons.  A year later, Hannah was married by Brigham Young to James Graham.  (A short time later, James Graham also married Hannah’s mother who was in her 60’s.)  Hannah and James had two children, a boy and a girl.  After four years of marriage, James was called on a mission to Australia and became the first Mormon missionary to open up Queensland.  After his two-year mission, he and his companion and other Saints boarded the ship Julia Ann for San Francisco.  Another story in itself is how they survived a shipwreck in the Tahitian Islands.  Unfortunately, a year after he returned safely home, James died, leaving Hannah a widow at the age of 36 with three children, living near Bear Lake in Idaho.  Hannah raised her children and supported herself for the rest of her life as a midwife.  When she was 75 years old, Hannah’s cousin who still lived in New Jersey met on the street one day James McCowan, Hannah’s old sweetheart.  Mr. McCowan inquired if Hannah was still living.  When he learned that she was a long-time widow living in Idaho, he got her address and wrote to her, then came to see her.  “The spark of true love was still burning for each of them.  He joined the Church and in the Fall of 1896, they were married…” 55 years after they first fell in love.  They spent 8 happy years together until Hannah died at the age of 83. 

Brooklyn ship summary:  The voyage of the ship Brooklyn was perhaps the longest continuous sea journey of any religious outcasts in history. The Pilgrims of 1620 crossed the Atlantic, a voyage of about 3,000 miles or more, and were on the water for sixty-three days. These Pacific Pilgrims (Mormons) crossed the equator on both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, went from icy Antarctic to the tropic Hawaiian Islands, and thence to California, a voyage of 24,000 miles. There were 120 Pilgrims; the Pacific Pilgrims numbered 238 souls. The two groups were alike in many respects. Each was composed predominately of young people with small children. They had dauntless courage, intrepid daring, matchless faith, and trust in God (  See also

On 9 Sep 1849 in Salt Lake City, James married for the fourth time, to Christiana Gregory, and on 13 Sep 1849, he also married and was sealed in the Endowment House, by Brigham Young, to his fifth wife, and Christiana’s daughter, Hannah Tucker Reed.  Hannah’s story states that James married her first and then her mother.  Hannah had had a previous marriage to Alexander Jamison on 12 Dec 1844, in New Jersey.  They had one child, John Clark Reed Jamison, born 11 Oct 1843, who was sealed to Hannah and James.  They had two additional children of their own, Christian (or Christiana) Rachel Graham, born 15 June 1850, and William Benona Graham, born 24 Mar 1852, in Riverdale, Weber, UT.  Christiana later married Franklin Ed Weaver, and William Benona married Margaret Hope Williams. 

Christiana Gregory was born 19 Mar 1795 in Philadelphia, PA, the daughter of George Gregory and Hannah Mathews.  She first married John Haines Read (Reed) 17 Feb 1819 in the county of Philadelphia.  They had seven children, the first one living only six years, and the second one being Hannah Tucker Reed, my great-great grandmother.  John Haines Read (Reed) died at the age of 37, leaving Christiana a widow with seven children.  Christiana was baptized 1 Apr 1843, at the age of 48.  She may have been married to James Graham on 13 Sep 1949 – needs to be verified.  The record in my PAF says she was endowed 6 Sep 1852, at the age of 57.  She died 22 Mar 1874, at age 79.  

Hannah was born 10 May 1821 in Lower Eversham, Burlington, NJ. 

According to the Utah Federal Census, in 1851, James had a household of 22 and a real wealth of $50, with no personal wealth.  James is listed as a farmer. 

In 1852, James Graham was called on a mission to Australia.  In the History of the Church, it states, “Of the one hundred and eight missionaries called at a special conference of the Church held in Salt Lake City in August 1852, nine were sent to Australia.”  A footnotes states, “Their names were:  Augustus Farnham, William Hyde, Burr Frost, John Hyde, Josiah W. Fleming, James Graham, John S. Eldridge, Paul Smith, and Absolom P. Dowdle.”  James served in Queensland, Australia.  After their release, James Graham and John S. Eldridge set sail 7 Sep 1855 on the sailing vessel, JULIA ANN, for San Francisco.  They were shipwrecked, but James Graham and his companion John S. Eldridge, survived the experience.  (The Life and Times of James Graham, manuscript….) 

Considerably more detail on the Wreck of the Julia Ann is found at
Among the accounts of the “Wreck of the Julia Ann” are the following summaries:

The Wreck of the Julia Ann:  On September 7, 1855, the American barque Julia Ann departed Australia for San Francisco with fifty-six passengers. The ship was commanded by Captain Benjamin Pond. Immigrating to Utah, twenty-eight of the passengers were Latter-day Saints, several of whom had played important roles in the history of the Church in Australia. The voyage went relatively well until October 4, when the ship hit and lodged against a coral reef. With the ship breaking apart, a member of the crew swam with a rope to the relative safety of a rock in the reef. Many of the passengers made the dangerous crossing on the rope or were providentially brought to the rock on a piece of the ship, but several people drowned. From the reef, the group managed to reach a series of uninhabited islands where they obtained fresh water and fed themselves on crabs and sea turtles. After making extensive repairs on a small quarterboat and with the aid of some nautical tools that had been saved, Captain Pond and ten crew men set out for the nearest source of help, Bora-Bora of the Society Islands. Eventually a rescue ship was secured, and sixty days after being shipwrecked, the fifty-one surviving passengers of the Julia Ann were brought to safety. The United Board of Masonic Lodges helped to care for the destitute travelers until they could make arrangements to continue their journey. Despite the tragedy, the passengers spoke well of Captain Pond and his leadership during the crisis. Remarkably, though thousands of LDS converts sailed to Zion between 1840 and 1890, the Julia Ann was the only vessel to be shipwrecked where Mormon passengers drowned. (

The Wreck of the Julia Ann:  The Julia Ann made two voyages towards San Francisco from Australia. "Towards" because she didn't arrive on the second voyage; she was carrying 350 tons of Newcastle coal and 42 passengers, including 28 members of the LDS Church, and broke apart on a coral reef near the Society Islands on Oct. 3rd, 1855. When she struck the reef, the ship broke in two, the stern section lifting onto the reef and the bow falling into deep water. Five Mormons, two women and three children, died in the shipwreck, about 400 miles from Tahiti in French Polynesia. (

James died 9 Dec 1857, in Ogden, Weber, UT.  The report of death by hanging was that of his son James Graham, who with his sibling and in-laws, behaved very improperly outside the law and was punished accordingly.

Mary Ellen Reed (Hannah Tucker Reed’s younger sister)
Contributed By Lorene Whitney · 2013-05-05
Mary Ellen Read Graham
Birth: Nov. 6, 1825 Philadelphia Philadelphia County Pennsylvania, USA
Death: Feb. 5, 1914 Millville Cache County Utah, USA
Mary Ellen Read was the daughter of John Haines Read and Chris­tianna Nickerson Gregory.
Mary and Robert Graham were married about 1860. Robert was the son of James and Mary Ann Butler Graham. He was born at Laurel Hill, Pennsylvania. His parents joined the LDS Church in its early days, and the family suffered persecution at Nauvoo with the other Saints. His mother died while preparing to cross the plains. Robert arrived in Utah about 1848.
They made their home in Ogden Valley for a time and came to Millville about 1864. Robert made his living by farming.
They were the parents of four children: Margaret Elmina (Jesse Brigham Humphreys), Robert (Mary Elizabeth Yeates), Martha Ann (And­rew Anderson) and John Haines.
Parents: Christianna Nickerson Gregory Read (1795 - 1874)
Spouses: Robert Graham (1824 - 1888) Winthrope Farley (1831 - 1892)
Children: Lydia Farley (1851 - 1860)* Margaret Elmina Graham Humphreys (1861 - 1932)* Robert James Graham (1863 - 1887)* Martha Ann Graham Anderson (1865 - 1915)* John Haines Graham (1869 - 1887)*
Burial: Millville City Cemetery Millville Cache County Utah, USA Plot: 3-35-4 [Created by: Burnt Almond Fudge Record added: Jul 12, 2009 Find A Grave Memorial# 39367998]
Christianna Rachel (Read) Weaver (Hannah Tucker Reed’s youngest sister)
Christianna Rachel (Read) Weaver
Contributed By Richard E. Rapp ·2013-07-04
Christianna Rachel (Read) Weaver was born 1 December 1830 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to John and Christianna (Gregory) Read.
Rachel, her widowed mother Christianna and sister Mary Ellen were some of the early pioneers who sailed around South America to San Francisco to get to Zion. I will try to tell her story.
When the pioneers first decided to move west some were advised that it would be less expensive to sail around South America to California then travel across country by ox team.
Samuel Branhan an editor of a newspaper in the east chartered an old worn out sailing vessel and about 200 persons mostly Mormons from Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey took passage the ship “Brooklyn.” Some of these came to New York City with but little more than their passage money. The sailing date was postponed which meant some of the people had to use their passage money for food and lodging so they were left behind. The vessel finally sailed 4 February 1846. The ship carried freight for the Sandwich Islands (now called Hawaii) as well as the passengers.
Among the passengers were Rachel, her widowed mother Christianna and sister Mary Ellen. Rough and gloomy weather was encountered at the onset of the voyage, then terrific storms with waves that ran so high that they covered the decks. The Captain on one occasion gave up the ship for lost. Just off Cape Horn a man was washed overboard and the passengers suffered greatly from being confined so closely to their crowded stuffy spaces. Provisions became so scarce that each passenger was rationed to one biscuit a day, and the water became so stale that it was nauseating to drink. On 4 may 1846 they were desperate for supplies and forced to land at Juan Fernandez Island. A number of dead were lowered into the sea.
When land was sighted the Captain made a speech to the passengers praising them saying he had never sailed with a braver voyagers. On 31 July 1846, six months after setting sail they heard the welcome salute of the guns at the Fort at San Francisco, which at that time was little more than a mining camp. After landing those brave pioneers lived in tents. The whole little band had but one stove. In the oven of which was baked pies that they sold for one dollar a piece. Gold was more plentiful than food; Eggs sold for $12.00 a dozen in the camp. Some of the pioneers remained for some time at the camp but most of them left for Utah as soon as possible.
Rachel, Christianna and Mary Ellen were at the camp for two years. During this time the Mormaon Battalion was discharged and that is when Rachel met Franklin Weaver. The Rev. Addison Pratt married them 12 March 1848 in San Francisco. Her bride’ maid was her friend from the ship Zelnor Glover. Rachel and Franklin started for Utah on horseback with all their worldly possessions on the back of one pack animal. The newly wedded couple traveled this way for 360 miles and then joined a company of Saints with whom they finished their journey to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. They lived here for a year and after their oldest don Edward was born they moved to Provo. From Provo the Weavers moved to Farmington where Martha was born. They returned to Provo where Elmira Mary Jane, John and Francis were born.
Their next move was to Salt Lake Island where Franklin took care of the church cattle for several years. During this time Franklin’s brother Miles died leaving 2 widows. Obeying counsel Franklin married Miles two wives Sarah (Clark) Weaver and Sarah (Holmes) Weaver in the year 1856. She was able to accept the principal of Plural marriage.
In 1859 Franklin and his brother Gilbert and their families moved to Cache Valley and made their homes in Millville. Here Rachel gave birth to Hyrum, George, James, Horace, and Hannah making her the mother of eleven children.
Like her mother she was a skilled seamstress. She made a white Buckskin suite for her son Horace’s wedding. As a child in Philadelphia she learned to do cross-stitch embroidery on a cardboard. She embroidered a sampler of the Family Record of her children the last date was 1883 and “For get me not.”
Rachel taught school in Millville in their home. They endured all the poverty, trials and hardships of pioneer life. Rachel was one of the counselors to Sarah Ann Pitkin in the first Relief Society organized at Millville in 1868.

Because of the percussion against plural marriage Franklin and Rachel moved to Bennington, Bear Lake, Idaho in 1883. Sarah (Clark) Weaver went to Gentile Valley and Sarah (Holmes) Weaver stayed in Millville. Franklin died 12 June 1884 in Bear Lake. Rachel continued to live at Bear Lake until her death 25 December 1893. Both Rachel and Franklin are buried in the Bennington, Idaho Cemetery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment