Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The story of Abraham Durfee and Ursula Curtis will be shared later, but first, what follows, is what is available on FSFT for other children of Edmund and Lana, Abraham’s siblings.

Martha Durfee Stevens  No story yet

Tamma Durfee Miner Curtis

Tamma Durfee Miner Curtis
Contributed By Elaine H Wood ·2013-07-13
"An Elect Lady" Tamma Durfee Miner Curtis
6 March 1813 Lennox, New York
January 30, 1885, Provo, Utah
An early LDS pioneer and settler of Springville, Tamma joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in December, 1831. She was among the faithful Saints who faced the mobs in Jackson County, Missouri, Kirtland, Ohio, and Nauvoo, Illinois.
She married Albert Miner on 9 August 1831. They had nine children. She and her husband assisted in the construction of the Kirtland and Nauvoo Temples. Her father Edmund Durfee, who had been a bodyguard of the Prophet Joseph Smith, was martyred in 1845. Tamma, her husband, and children were driven from their home and joined the trek westward. Their lives threatened, and being ill-treated by the enemies to the truths of heaven, they remained faithful to their testimonies.
Albert Miner, born March 31, 1809 in Jefferson County, New York, perished on the plains of Iowa on January 3, 1848, and was buried there, never finishing his journey to the Salt Lake Valley. Death had also previously claimed daughters Sylva and Melissa in their infancy due to exposure.
The rest of the family continued to Salt Lake City by ox cart driven by her son Orson, arriving in June, 1850. Orson died in March, 1851. Tamma married Enos Curtis on 20 October 1850, and settled in Springville in April, 1851. They had four daughters, two of whom died before their mother. Enos died in 1856.
Tamma married John White Curtis in 1857 and had one daughter.
"I do feel highly honored to be numbered with the Latter-day Saints and I pray that our children will all prove faithful that they may receive a great reward.... Children, live your religion, be persevering in well doing, and may God forever bless you and protect you from all harm, is the prayer of your mother who loves you all dearly."
Children of Tamma and Albert Miner
Polly, Orson, Moroni, Sylva, Mormon, Matilda, Alma Lindsay, Don Carlos Smith, Melissa
Children of Tamma and Enos Curtis
Clarrissa, Belinda, Adelia, Amelia
Daughter of Tamma and John White Curtis
A Young Wife's Terror
Contributed By Elaine H Wood ·2013-08-12
Following is part of a series produced by the Church Historical Department entitled "Profiles From The Past" printed in the Church News section of the Deseret News on Saturday, 6 September 1980.
Tamma Durfee Miner's persecution complex was no trick of her imagination.
As a young wife and mother she depended heavily upon two men --husband Albert Miner and father Edmund Durfee. Together the families witnessed the Missouri mobbings.
"Enemies came along, 1 to 500, right to our homes and nobody around but women and little children," she recalled. "No one can tell, no one can describe the feelings, only those that experienced it."
They lived peacefully for a time in Illinois until mobs killed Joseph Smith and then, a year later, turned against the Mormon people. In late 1845 enemies attacked Morley's Settlement. They burned down her father's house- -"went to the oat stack and got two bundles, put a brand of fire in them, throwed them on top of the house." Nightriders " shot off their guns and plundered and burned houses, furniture, the clothing looms, yard cloth, and carpenter tools." Tamma said they "rolled my brother Nephi up in a bed and threw it outdoors when he was sick." A month later, in November, father Edmund and others returned to harvest crops. One midnight they rushed to put out a straw stack fire. Suddenly two whistles were heard and six shots wee fired from the darkness. Edmund died from a rifle ball just above the heart.
The next fall, after most other Mormons fled Illinois, Tamma witnessed the final "Battle of Nauvoo." During a cannon fire exchange between what she thought were 50 Mormon men, including her husband Albert, and 2000 mobbers, three Mormons died and three were wounded. Her brother was "shot between the cords of his heel. The Mormon women rolled the cannon balls up in their aprons, took them to our boys and they put them in the cannon and would shoot them back again still hot." It was a fearful time, she said. Tamma Durfee Miner - 12
Albert ferried his family across the Mississippi River, but they did not catch up with the main body of Saints before he died of illness. Tamma became a widow at age 35 with seven children under age 14. By 1850 she managed to reach Utah without husband or father, "without any home or anyone to hunt us one. We were very lonesome indeed." She later remarried, bringing the family peace and prosperity at last.
-William G. Hartley
LDS Church News, September 6, 1980
Tamma Durfee Miner Curtis
Contributed By Elaine H Wood ·2013-08-12
Autobiography of Tamma Durfee (1813-1885)
Written by Tamma Durfee Miner for the Relief Society Jubilee Box of the Utah Stake Relief Society. Opened in May 1930 and given to Frances Carter (Clark) Knight.
My father's name was Edmund Durfee, he was born in Rhode Island on the 3rd October 1788 of Dutch decent. My mother's name was Magdalena "Lana" Pickle and she was born 6 June 1788. Her father and mother were from Holland. I was born 6 March 1813 in Lennox, Madison County, New York and lived there until I was about nine years old when we moved to Amboy, Oswego County. Father bought some land, built him a house, made a small farm, and worked at his trade that was mostly carpenter and millwright. We lived there until the first of June 1830, father bought more land. There were lots of maple trees. Then father wanted to go West so he sold his sugar bush and farm and everything started for the south of Ohio. We went through Camden Village to the canal, went on the canal to Buffalo, we went to Briggles (Ruggles)in Huron County. Father bought land and went to work to make a home, and the next winter in 1831 we heard about the Mormons and the "Gold Bible." The next spring Solomon Hancock came preaching about Joseph Smith and said that the Lord and the Angel Moroni had revealed them to Joseph Smith. Solomon Hancock joined in with us the Methodists and Campbellites, and he would preach in our meetinghouse. We would go to hear him and many were astonished at his message for it was so much different from what it had been reported.
This was sometime in April 1831, and my father Edmond Durfee was baptized about the middle of May and my mother and sister, Martha and brother, Edmund were baptized about the first of June by Solomon Hancock. I believed it the first time I heard him preach, that the Book of Mormon was true.
I was a Mormon in belief but was not baptized until December 1831 and will tell you the reason why I was not baptized. I was keeping company with a good young man, as I thought, and I was told that he had said that he would not have a Mormon for a wife. So I waited until after I was married. I went to the Mormon meetings and sometimes to the Methodists until 9 August 1831 when I was married to Albert Miner. He was born in Jefferson County, New York on 31 March 1809 and was the son of Azel Miner and Sylvia Monson. We got along first rate and we went to meetings sometimes to one place and sometimes to the Mormons until December 1831, when my father was going on a mission to the State of New York and he baptized me before going on his mission. Albert Miner`s mother, brothers and sisters had a great deal to say about the Mormons as they did not believe in the Book of Mormon. But he told them, "the more they had to say, the sooner he would be baptized". He waited until the first of February 1832 when they cut a hole in the ice and baptized him. My oldest daughter Polly was born 1 May 1832. My father gathered some of his carpenter tools, seed grain, farming tools and in a company with others, he started for Jackson County, Missouri, on the first of February 1832. To build a place for all his family to go. He came home in the fall of 1832, sold his farm and all his possessions and we started for Kirtland, Ohio on the first of May 1833. The Lord had said "He would keep a strong hold" for five years in Kirtland. We bought us a farm, built us some houses and prepared to live.
I was here on the fourth of July when they wanted 24 Elders to lay the corner stones to the Temple in Kirtland, and they ordained George A. Smith and Don Smith to make the number twenty-four, six at each corner. Albert Miner, my husband, helped to haul stone every Saturday for a long time to build the Temple.
My oldest boy was born 22 October 1833 we called him Orson. The next spring most of the Elders were called to volunteer to go and redeem Jackson County. Albert Miner told Mr. Dennis Lake he would draw cuts, to see who would go and who would stay and take care of both families. It fell on Albert Miner to stay and take care of the families. Dennis Lake went with the company to redeem Jackson County and when he got back he apostatized and sued Joseph Smith for three months work, $60.00. On the 4th of July 1835, I had a son born. Called his name Moroni and Joseph Smith blessed him and said: "He should be as great as Moroni of old, and the people would flee unto him and call him blessed".
They were still building the Temple. Some of the brethren came from a distance and stayed with us until the next spring. They received their endowments and were there to the dedication of the Temple in March 1836. After that a good many began to apostatize and broke up the Kirtland Bank.
I had girl born on 18 June 1836. We called her name Silva. A great many things transpired about this time that I haven't time to write and some that I can't place them. Land came up and sold for a large sum of money and they had a great land speculation, and many left the Church of the Latter-day Saints.
I had a boy born 26 September 1837 and called his name Mormon. In the Spring of 1837, my father sold his farm and all his possessions and started for Caldwell County, Missouri, where we stayed that summer and fall.
Those that left the Mormons grew worse until Joseph and Sidney Rigdon and Father Smith had to leave in January in the middle of winter. That fall Albert had a very sick spell. The last of January he got some better so he could ride in a sleigh on a bed while I held an umbrella over him. With two little children on my lap we went 80 miles, from Kirtland, Ohio to Huron County, New London, Connecticut, where Albert's folks lived. Four days on the road were pleasant and warm but it turned fearful cold winter weather. Albert got better and we stayed until May.
We went back to Kirtland and sold the farm, put some of his means in to the Kirtland camp and took the balance, Albert Miner, wife, and children started for Far West, Missouri. About the middle of June 1838, bidding Albert's mother, sisters, and brothers, all farewell for the Gospel's sake. His father had died in 1829. We traveled until we ran short of means, and then we stopped and worked until we got enough to go ahead. We visited the Kirtland camp and then went on to Missouri and got to Dewitt the last of August. The children were all sick, and I had been so sick that I could not walk, and Albert was so sick he could not harness and take care of the team. We soon got better, we stayed one week at DeWitt and then started for Far West all alone, we got to fathers about the 1st of September. The children were all sick, but father said we would all get better which they did in a few days, all except Silva who did not recover and died about the first of October 1838.
The mob gathered and killed many and drove all the Mormons from Adam Diamon to Far West. Not being satisfied, the whole state with the Governor at their head gathered by the thousands to drive them from Far West. They wanted Joseph Smith & Sidney Rigdon, our leaders and the Twelve, and all they could get and put them in prison and they got mad. Some were bailed out and others had to stay and take up with such a fare as they could get and be fed on human flesh, but Joseph told them "not to eat it," for the spirit of the Lord told him that it was human. Thus we were plundered, smitten and driven from out homes, our lives were threatened and we were ill-treated on every side by our enemies. Enemies to the truths of heaven came along, one to five hundred right to our houses and nobody around but women and little children, take our men prisoners without any cause, only because they were Mormons and believed in the truths of the Gospel. They wanted to know if we had any guns, pistols or ammunition or butcher knives and such things. No one can tell, only those that passed through it and was an eye witness to it can describe the feeling of the Saints and what they passed through.
Those men that were at liberty and had teams helped others to the Mississippi River, then went back after their own families. Father's folks had lived there one year. His name was Edmond Durfee. He left in 1837, Albert and Tamma Miner with five children got to the Missouri the first of September 1838 and lived on what they called "Log Creek" six miles from Far West. I was there when they killed David Patten when they took a lot of prisoners and the Saints had to lay down their lives to their enemies.
Albert Miner was one that had to take a load to the Mississippi River so we did not get away until the first of April 1839. We had witnessed a good leaving in the cold and dreary winter. We crossed over to Quincy, went up the river to place called Lima, Hancock county, Illinois. There we built us a house and bought a small place and fixed to live here a short time. But the devil wasn't dead yet. In a short time there was some that would go to Lima and get drunk and come back swearing and tearing enough to frighten men, let alone women and children. I told Albert that I didn't like to live there and hear them swear.
While at Lima I had a girl born 13 January 1840 and we called her Matilda. We stayed there till the year from the next September. Got along the best we could. Every fall and spring we went 30 miles to Conference and join the fourth of July to training. I had a boy born 7 September 1841 called his name Alma L. In the spring my husband bought a place four miles east of the Temple in Nauvoo and lived there where we could get to meeting and get back home by night. I had a boy born 12 June 1843 and we called him Don Carlos Smith. Was there in 1844 when Joseph and Hyrum were martyred. I went in and saw them after they were taken to their homes. I had been acquainted with them for 12 years. In May I heard them both preach and talk to the Saints a good many times. I heard Joseph once talk and preach for five hours to a congregation, and no one was tired. (This was in Kirtland before they built the first Temple.) A great many incidents I have passed through but have not time to name them. We still lived in Nauvoo. After they got the Nauvoo Temple done, they did temple work in January, February and March.
The gentiles and the mobocrats threatened us and told around how they would kill and drive them (the Mormons). They did kill and drive them from Lima, and shot my father Edmund Durfee and killed him instantly on 19 November 1845. He who had never done them any harm in his life, but on the contrary, had always taught them good principles of truth and uprightness and greatness and morality and industries all the days of his life. But before this, they drove them all out of Father Morley's Settlement, turned there sick ones out. Drove them all out to live or die. Rolled my brother, Nephi up in a bed and threw it outdoors, when he was sick. Went to the oat stack and got two bundles of oats and put a brand of fire in them and threw them on top of the house and said they would be back next morning. Father was trying to move someplace and they came back and shot all their guns and ran them all off, and plundered and made a fire, burned houses, furniture, clothing, yarn looms, cloth, carpenter tools. The iron from the tools they picked and filled a barrel. Everything all around burned to ashes, and the mob went from house to house driving them out, sick or well, it made no difference, till they burned every house in the town that was Mormons.
The men from Nauvoo got their teams and started for Lima and traveled all night and day to get the families that had been burned out doors. My husband was one that traveled all night and got cold, took a chill and was ill for a long time. The mob said that they could come back and gather their crops, They were nearly done, so decided to stay over Sunday. When it got dark the mob came back and built a fire close by the barns. The Mormons thought they meant to burn their houses and rushed out. The mob stood back in the timber and as the men got between them, they shot off about a dozen guns, my father was the only one killed.
They built a fire in different places, one in the corn crib and the shucks was on and dry rail and dry shucks and it burned a little and went out, so you see, they couldn't go any further than the Lord let them. This was the fall of 1845. They still kept gathering all the fall and winter. The saints worked hard all winter doing temple work. They worked at repairing and building wagons getting ready to leave. Some of them before the ice broke up in the river and the rest soon after. Little over one year before my husband had his farm bought from under him by a man by the name of Ephriam S. Green, with all he had worked and done and paid on it. We were turned out doors with a family of little children. So he rented one year and turned out one span of horses and bought a piece of land in order to make another home.
On 5 March 1846 I had a girl born, called her name Melissa. We remained there for a time. The mob gathering every little shile and threatening all the time, how they would drive the Mormons. At last a great many left, not knowing where they were going, to hunt for a place in the wilderness among the savages and wild beasts over the desert beyond the Rocky Mountains where white men had never lived. In the spring the mob began to gather once a week and threaten to drive out what was left. The first of May we moved town, sold our place for a yoke of oxen and wagon thinking to start on in two or three weeks, but the mob gathered every week right on the public square close by the house. The mormons told them we would go as fast as they could get ready and teams to go with. Mostly women and children were left and they didn't want anymore of the men to leave for fear of what might happen. So we stayed and my oldest brother and his family were with us.
Mr Albert Miner was born in the state in New York, county of Jefferson, March 31, 1809. His father's name was Azel Miner, his mother was Sylvia Monson. Till as last new citizens and apostates to carry the day they used to carry the letters in their boots and get all the news.
Till at last they said there were about 2,000 of them (the mob) camped outside of town In the afternoon here they came into across the lots to get in town. There were only fifty (mormon) men to go out to meet them. They drove them back that night. In the morning, at 2 (am) it was moonlight, the Mormons went and fired right into the camp and they fired guns and cannons on both sides tlil 2:00 that afternoon. They killed three Mormon men, one man was named Anderson and his son, both killed by one cannon ball (they said they did not follow counsel). One man was killed by a cannon ball in a blacksmith shop, three men were slightly wounded. My brother was wounded by a gun between the cords of his heel.
There were only about 50 of the Mormon men against 2,000 of the mob, ten of them had to be on guard, two on top of the Temple with spy glasses. They went into Law's cornfield and there they had their battle, they were seen to fill two wagons with the wounded and killed. The next morning a woman stood in the second story house and saw the mob put 76 bodies in Calico slips with a draw string around the top before they left home. The Mormon women rolled the cannon balls up in their aprons, took them to our boys and they put them in the cannon and shoot them back again when they were hot. But there were a great many more missing, it was a fearful time. I could have crossed the river but I would not leave my husband. In about two days we had to surrender, lay down their arms. I saw the mob all dressed in black ride two by two on horseback. It looked frightful, they said there were 2,000 of them rode around the Temple in Nauvoo.
The men had to ferry the boat over five times for each family. My husband had to ferry it over five times for my brother that got wounded and five times for us. We got over, stayed there two weeks, we slept on the ground waiting for help, there were fourteen of us to one wagon.
My baby got sick, but we stayed anyway and in three days my baby was died on the first of October 1846. We traveled on one day and the next morning we buried her, she was seven months old, her name was Melissa Miner. We went one day where we were acquainted went on three days and came to Iowaville. We stayed there through the winter while my husband worked at hauling and running a ferry boat. When my baby died I took sick and never sit up only to have my bed made for nine months. My husband thought of moving to the Bluffs but a good many came back to get work so he cut and put up hay for his stock and then said he would go back to Ohio to see all of his folks. He started afoot to the Mississippi River all alone. Short of means, he went two of three miles and right before him was $5 in silver on the ground. He went on and found his folks all well, but no one believed in the Gospel. All opposed him. He was gone ten weeks, came home very unwell and being gone so long, he was homesick and tired and had walked in the rain all day. Polly my oldest daughter who was fourteen years old, took care of the family of nine and waited on me while I was sick and while her father was gone. Not feeling very well when he came, he thought he would feel better after he rested, but he grew worse. He tried to work for half a day and go to bed the other half. He came home about May 17, 1847. He kept that was, first better then worse till at last he dropped off very sudden. What a hard blow, as we thought he was getting better. I and the children thought a better man never lived; A kind, good natured disposition, industrious. He was a genius, could do anything he saw someone else do. Alma and the little boys said; "Which way shall we go? We will not know the way". They thought their father was so perfect that he could do nothing wrong and that he knew everything.
Polly and Orson were the oldest, they had to take the lead and go ahead and plan. Albert's folks had offered him everything if he would stay with them and not go with the Mormons, but the Gospel, the truths of the Book of Mormon and the Holy Priesthood were all that he wanted.
Polly was a true and faithful daughter to her mother and Orson was a true and faithful son. Albert Miner died January 3, 1848. He was so very anxious to go to Council Bluffs and keep up with the Church so the children and I went to work and got things together and the next July 1848 we came to Council Bluffs Iowa. We stayed there about two years. We worked and got things ready to come to the valley. I and my five boys and two girls, started with a company of one hundred wagons June 10, 1850. We traveled across the plains with the ox teams. Had many a struggle. Although we got along much better than we anticipated.
The first of September we landed in Salt Lake without any home or anyone to hunt one for us. We were very lonesome indeed.
We stayed with father and mother Wilcox for 2 weeks, when Enos Curtis came along and said he would furnish me and the children with a home. Thats what we need most as winter was coming on.
We were married 18 October 1850. Lived on the Jordan the first winter and I and my children all had irriciplis in the throat. My oldest son died with it on 5 March 1851. He drove the ox team across the plains for me and a kind good natured boy as ever lived.
The next April we moved to Springville, Utah. Got a farm and a place to build up the kingdom. On 18 October 1851 I had a girl called Clarissa Curtis. We lived there and the boys grew up and Enos Curtis and his boys and mine all worked together. Raised their grain and stock and paid their tithing. I had a girl born 23 February 1853. Called her name Belinda. We still lived there in Springville. The next spring Enos went to Iron County with Brigham Young and Company. When they got back they made a party for the company on 12 June 1854. One year from that day I had a pair of twin girls named Adelia and Amelia.
The next spring Enos began complaining of not feeing well but he kept on to work for a while till at last he gave up. After a while he began to take something and thought he was better, but he finally got worse. Lived till the first of June 1856 when he passed off just like going to sleep without a struggle or a groan. His children were all with him but two. One boy was on a Mission to England. Myself and boys and three little girls were left alone again. One boy was 20 years old. One 17, one 14 and the other 12. We still lived in Springville. Farmed and raised our wheat and stock, paid our tithing and raised the little girls, all but one. She took sick and died before her father. One of the twins named Adelia. In 1857, I was sealed to John White Curtis at April Conference and I had a girl born 16 Jan. 1858 called her name Mariette Curtis. I had five boys and four girls by Albert Miner, four girls by Enos Curtis and one girl by John White Curtis. Belinda Curtis took sick and died 17 November 1873. I had 58 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren.
The children that lived all grew up to be men and women. All married and left home. All in the Church and pay their tithing and live their religion as best they can as far as I know. I had 14 children in all and they were all very good to me. Albert Miner was Joseph Smith's life guard in Kirtland, Ohio. Also my brother, but he left the church. In those days there was but a handful of saints in comparison to what there is now. I have passed through all the hardships and drivings and burnings and mobbings and threatenings and have been with the Saints in all their persecutions from Huron County to Kirtland Ohio and from Kirtland to Missouri and then back to Illinois, and then across the desert.
I write this that my children may have a little idea of what their parents passed through. For want of time I have passed over some of the important things. I hope my children will appreciate these few lines for I do feel highly honored to be numbered with the Latter-Day Saints and I pray that our children will all prove faithful that they may receive a great reward.
Don Carlos Miner
History of Don Carlos Smith Miner
Contributed By Elaine H Wood ·2013-08-22
Don Carlos Smith Miner (better known as Carl Miner) was born in Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, June 12, 1843. He was the eighth child of Albert and Tamma Durfee Miner.
His parents were among the first members of the LDS Church. They were closely associated with the Prophet Joseph Smith and his father was a bodyguard for the prophet. His father ferried the Mississippi River fourteen times moving the Saints from Nauvoo.
At the time Carl was born, his family lived four miles east of the Nauvoo Temple. The family suffered a great deal from the persecutions of the mobs, as did all the Saints at that time. In March, a baby sister named Melissa was born, but seven months later, at the time they crossed the Mississippi River into Iowa, she died and was buried on the banks of the River.
The family went on to Iowaville where Carl's father worked at hauling and running a ferry boat. It was there that he died from exposure and fatigue, leaving his wife and eight children, the oldest fourteen and Carl being the youngest only five years old.
Tamma, Carl's mother, worked for two years to get provisions to come to the valley. They started on June 10, 1850, (with Thomas Foote Company) with two cows, a wagon, two oxen, and scant provisions. Her oldest son Orson drove the wagon across the plains, and her son Moroni drove the cattle and walked all the way.
Tamma Married Enos Curtis, who said he would furnish the family a home, on October 20, 1850, and they lived on the Jordan River that first winter. They were all sick that winter with irriciplis in the throat and Orson died with it on March 5, 1851.
The family lived in Salt Lake Valley during the winter of 1850, and in the spring of 1851, came to Springville and obtained a farm. The boys of the family built their home, the first to be finished on the south side of the fort. It was located at 1st West and 4th South where the Chester Hutchings home now stands. It was a log house with dirt floor and dirt roof. They never lived inside the fort, but helped to build the big fort wall. Carl's job was to carry water with which they wet the dirt for the wall.
During this time four more children joined the family, Clarissa, Belinda, and twins Amelia and Adelia. Enos Curtis took sick and died June 1, 1856.
His mother was married in polygamy to John White Curtis in April 1857 and had one child, Marriette. As Carl's older brothers married and moved to new homes, Carl was left with the responsibility of supporting his mother and little sister. His kindness and love for little Marriette are still remembered by those who knew him.
Later, he built his mother a new home, an adobe house with shingled roof. It was built on the same lot as their old one and the old one was used for a school house where his sister Clarissa taught school.
Around the lot, he built a "Ditch Fence". This was built by digging a ditch and throwing all the dirt on the other side of it. Then poles were criss-crossed over the pile of dirt and long poles reached between the crossed ones.
In the new house the young people of town gathered for gay parties and dances. Carl was the first beau of Abby Whiting Bird. Their first date was a trip to the circus where they both went bare footed. This got Abby a scolding from her parents.
Carl was a good dancer and a favorite partner of the young ladies of Springville. His closest friend was Solomon Chase and whenever he had been away at work for a while he quickly found his friend and visited with him and his sister Mary Jane (Finley).
The chief recreation at that time was "visiting". "Aunt Tammy", as his mother was known, took along her basket of straw and while she sat and talked her fingers moved swiftly braiding and sewing the straw into hats, which she sold and donated the money to the old `White Meeting House'.
While he was a young boy, Carl was sent to herd cattle east of the fort and, when there was trouble with the Indians, he stood guard and had to watch for the Indians and be ready to give the alarm at any sign of trouble. Later, he joined the home guard and was a member of it until he died.
He hauled freight to Pioche and other places in Nevada and received gold dust in payment. He worked in the canyons cutting logs and hauling them to Springville for buildings. In 1869, he and his brother Moroni took a contract with the Central Pacific Railway Company to build the grade at Promontory Point where the golden was driven, marking the spot where the East and West railroads met.
He assisted in building the `Old White Meeting House' and also the first four school houses. He hauled rocks which were used in building the Second Ward Chapel.
In 1868, Carl and Moroni homesteaded a farm south of town. It consisted of 160 acres which gave each of the 80 acres. Carl built a one room house on his property and lived there because it was necessary to live on a homestead and `prove up' on it.
For some time, he had been courting Ann Eliza Holden who lived with the Jesse Ballinger family. When the Ballingers were called to move to Arizona, Eliza and Carl were married on October 13, 1877. Carl built another room leaving a small space between it and the first room. Later he walled in the space making a third room.
Eliza had a heart ailment and was never very well from the time she was married so she kept a girl with her much of the time. She did very nice hand work when she was unable to do other work. In June of 1880, they had a baby boy whom they named Don Carlos Jr., but in September of 1881, he died.
In May of 1882, Eliza gave birth to twin boys and gave her own life for theirs. It was a great blow to Carl to lose her and be left with the two babies. Aunt Abby Warren, a dear friend of the family took them and tried to get them started.
At this time, they sent for Delilah Davis, who had helped Eliza and stayed with her several times. She stayed with Mrs. Warren and helped care for the tiny babies. For awhile they seemed to grow, but in September they died, one on the 13th and the other on the 29th.
Carl kept seeing Delilah until in January, they decided to be married. They and another couple went in a covered wagon to Salt Lake City to be married in the Endowment House on January 4, 1883. It was a hard trip to go so far in the middle of the winter. They spent several days in Salt Lake City and when they returned home, Delilah really took over his home. She was a young 18 year old girl (Carl was 40), in good health, and she kept up the house so that Carl was again happy after his sad experience.
The farm was large and not all under cultivation. Carl kept hired men and boys on the farm with his so there was always lots of work to be done and it was Delilah's job to cook for them, etc.
At one time when he was hauling timber down Spanish Fork Canyon, Carl became very thirsty. When he reached Cold Springs, he drank too much of the cold water. It made him seriously sick and affected his stomach for the rest of his life.
The doctor told him to leave the farm for a season. He rented the farm, took his family in the wagon, took his cows and went up into Spanish Fork Canyon to Mill Fork and Old Tucker where they lived in two tents. There they herded and milked the cows and made butter. It was always spoken for. The tie choppers and railroad people were more than glad to buy it. After two summers of this life, Carl took over the farm again and with farm help kept it going.
Carl was a good Latter-day Saint. He kept the Word of Wisdom, paid an honest tithing, and was very faithful with his meetings, his ward teaching and whatever was asked of him, but he was a quiet home man, not leading out in many ways. He walked the distance (more than a mile) to church at the Old White Meeting House. His children remember walking with him.
Carl was one of the men who first obtained and developed the Big Hollow Water for irrigation.
In the winter of 1902, (a very cold winter) he had been butchering hogs when he took sick. For two days he stayed close to the fire and, in the meantime, his wife went out in the cold and cured the meat. On the second day the doctor was called and he said Carl had pneumonia. They worked with him night and day until the ninth day of his illness, February 8, 1902, when he died.
His wife, at 38, was left with eight children, the oldest 18 years old, the youngest a baby (Ross) who took his first steps the day his father died.
His children are: Melissa (Thompson), Lafayette; Charles D., Hilda L., who died at the age of six weeks; Tamma Delilah (Johnson); Velma (Hjorth); Alma, Willard, and Ross. All the children have made their homes in Utah.
Don Carlos Smith Miner came to Utah with the Thomas Foote Co. They started June 10, 1851.
Dorathea (Dolly) Durfee
Dolly Durfee Garner - 8 March 1816
Contributed By delberrettgarner1 · 2013-10-14
Dolly Durfee, the fourth child of Edmond and Lana Pickle Durfee, was born 8 March 1816, at Lennox, Madison County, New York.
Her ancestors on her fathers’ side had long been residents of Tiverton, Newport County, Rhode Island. Her ancestor, Thomas Durfee, born in 1643, immigrated to America from England. There is some question about her mothers’ descent. Some records state that she likewise was from Rhode Island, but one record gives Holland as her birthplace.
When Dolly was six years old, the family moved to Amboy, Oswego County, New York, where her father bought some land, built a house and cultivated a small farm. Her father was also a carpenter by trade. For eight years, the family was happy at Amboy. By 1830, there were twelve children in the Durfee home and never a dull moment. The last child, Nephi, was born five years later at Kirtland, when Lana Pickle Durfee was 47 years old. Of course, there was always plenty of work to occupy their time. However, good times were also enjoyed. More land had been acquired where maple trees abounded, so the family made lots of maple sugar.
However, Edmond Durfee, Dolly’s father wanted to go west. Consequently, he sold his farm and “maple bush”, and the family moved to Ohio, settling in the township of Ruggles. During the winter of 1831, stories were circulating about the Mormons and the gold Bible. In April of 1831, Solomon Hancock proselyted in Ruggles. The Durfee's were Methodist. Elder Hancock preached often in the Methodist Chapel. The Durfee's were surprised to learn the truth about the Mormons – it was so different from the stories being circulated. Elder Simeon Carter baptized Dolly’s father the middle of May. Solomon Hancock baptized Lana Pickle Durfee the first part of June 1831, and most of the other members of the family. There is some question as to the exact date of Dolly’s baptism but it was in either May or June of 1831. Eventually all members of the family were baptized.
In December 1831, Edmond Durfee was sent on a short mission for the Church. The temple site at Jackson County was dedicated 3 August 1831, and some of the saints began settlements in that area. In February 1831, Dolly’s father went to Jackson County (Independence Mo.) to build a place for his family in “Zion”, returning home 20 May. The family did not move at that time because another mission took their father back to the states until the fall of that year.
In May 1833, the family moved to Kirtland where most of the saints were gathering. Edmond, Dolly’s father was one of the 24 Elders who laid the cornerstones of the Kirtland Temple. Of course, Dolly was present on this important occasion. Upon completion, she attended school in the temple.
The tempest of persecution finally drove the saints from Kirtland and the Durfee’s moved to Caldwell County, Missouri, in 1837 (Far West) and settled in Log Creek.
Mobocracy in Missouri reached its height in 1838 and the saints were driven out in a body, having to leave their property without hope of obtaining compensation. These were indeed heartbreaking days for the saints. No matter where they went, bitterness, hatred, lying and most unspeakable persecution followed them. It was indeed a test of their faith. Denial of the Church brought relief from the persecution to the many individuals who fell away and apostatized. Many of the high officials of the Church turned traitors.
After the expulsion from Missouri in 1839, the Durfee’s settled in Yelrome.
In Lima, Illinois, (close to Yelrome) Dolly became acquainted with David Garner who was a faithful member of the Lima Branch. They were married 18 October 1842. Their home must have been near Lima rather than in the town itself because the family group sheet gives the birthplace of the first two children “near Lima.” Louisa Ann was born 12 July 1843.
On 27 June 1844, Dolly experienced a paralyzing shock, along with the rest of the saints, when word came that the prophet had been killed at Carthage. They had known of his deliverance so many times that no one believed he would be taken from them. A week later, while the saints were so confused and bewildered, Dolly’s second baby was born – Fannie Marilla, on 2 July 1845.
Persecutions increased in intensity. Nothing seemed to satisfy the thirst for blood and havoc, which possessed the mobbers. The town of Yelrome, where Dolly’s parents and family lived, was literally burned down by the mobs, destroying about 200 homes. Words cannot possible describe the reign of terror which scourged the saints. At the time of this burning and destruction, Dolly’s father, as he endeavored to quench a fire, was brutally shot by a mobber on 15 November 1845.
Following this horrifying experience, David and Dolly moved to Nauvoo, which was only 25 miles from Lima. At Nauvoo their first son was born 10 January 1846. It was only logical to name him David, for his father, and Edmond, for his late grandfather.
Refuge was not to last long at Nauvoo and finally the mobs were successful in driving the saints from their beautiful city, which they built from a swamp. The forced exodus began in February of 1846 when young David was only a month old and in the extreme cold of winter before the people had had an opportunity to adequately prepare themselves for their long journey ahead. The prophet had told them they would eventually settle in the tops of the mountains.
A temporary haven was sought in the “Pottawattamie lands” (Indian territory) in Iowa. It was hoped that they could plant crops, and better prepare themselves for the rigors of the journey to the mountains.
Their preparations were interrupted, however, by the call of Capt. Allen of the U.S. Army for 500 volunteers to fight in the Mexican War. (Mormon Battalion) The people were already wasted, destitute, and ill from the constant driving of their persecutors, but David joined the volunteers in 16 July 1846 (or June), leaving Dolly with her three babies, Louisa, Fanny Marilla, and David, a baby of one month, in a covered wagon on the banks of Mosquito Creek where Council Bluffs now stands. Dolly bore courageously the long months of loneliness and uncertainty, not knowing anything of the welfare of her husband. Dolly was almost beside herself with anxiety, trying to take care of her little family through the long dark nights and only a candle to light the room. On 21 October 1847, the little family gratefully greeted David, who had been to the Valley and had now returned to take them to Zion.
On 13 May 1848, Brigham Young at Winter Quarters sealed David and Dolly.
It seemed advisable to wait before undertaking the westward journey to the Valley. During this time of preparation at Council Bluffs two more children were born, William Franklin born 12 December 1848 and Mary Marinda born 20 February 1850.
In the spring, 5 June 1850, the long awaited trek became a reality, traveling with one wagon and one bed. 150 wagons were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Kanesville, Iowa (present day Council Bluffs). Although they were quite well prepared (comparatively speaking) still the children walked much of the way barefooted. They bound their bleeding feet with rags to avoid leaving bloodstained tracks for the Indians to follow.
Upon arrival in the Valley, 9 September 1850, the family went almost directly to Ogden Fort where they stayed with many others of the saints that first winter. This afforded protection from Indians, as well as companionship.
In the spring, David and Dolly established a home in North Ogden. It was one room built of rock and brick containing a fireplace, two beds, two trundle beds and meager household furniture. Additions were built to the house as needed. Cloth was impossible to obtain at first; but Dolly was a resourceful woman. She took the canvas wagon cover, which had protected them on their journey and made it into necessary articles. Marilla was the proud possessor of a new dress made from that canvas cover.
Of course, they made their own tallow candles for light. As soon as possible, crops were planted. Flax was included in the crops, from this Dolly and her girls laboriously made material for clothing and household uses. From the sheep’s wool they spun skeins of yarn, which was knitted into warm articles of clothing such as stockings, mittens, and so forth. They also made woolen cloth. Of course, this material was sewed by hand. A weed was boiled, and the color was used to stain the cloth.
Matches were very scarce and it was the custom to “borrow” fire from the neighbor. It was not unusual to see a neighbor hurrying with a pan of red-hot coals to replenish or build his own fire.
There was plenty of work for all and Dolly taught her children that work was a blessing. She, herself, was a tireless worker and an immaculate housekeeper. Having known privation so long, Dolly was extremely frugal. David was a very good provider, but the lean years and constant driving had taught their lesson. When butter and eggs were high, she reminded the children to be careful and not use too much. When they were cheap, she would tell the children they must go sparingly because it took a lot to get a little money.
Dolly was an excellent cook. Her son-in-law, Abraham Chadwick, often said that Dolly made the lightest, most delicious biscuits he ever tasted. However, she cut them small and dainty so that each biscuit was not much more than a mouthful for a hungry man. How he hated to keep asking for more, but they were so good that he always succumbed to the temptation.
Dolly and her girls dried a tremendous amount of fruit each year from their bountiful orchard. Four more children were born in North Ogden: Nancy Jane, born 7 September 1851, Amelia Jane, born 10 May, 1853, Charles Henry, born 16 April 1856, Lydia, born 2 March 1858.
She is remembered as being about 5’5” tall, of a rather heavy-set build. She was somewhat dark in coloring.
In the Endowment House on 10 October 1855, Dolly received her endowments.
In 1864, David returned to Winter Quarters to bring his sister’s family to Utah. On 10 October 1871, he accepted a call for a mission to the east and was gone until 22 February 1872. These long absences naturally increased the burden on Dolly’s shoulders but she accepted it uncomplainingly.
On 14 June 1885, after a long illness, Dolly died at North Ogden, leaving David and eight devoted children, 3 sons and 5 daughters. Nancy Jane died as a child.
Her funeral services were held at her home on Tuesday, 16 June. Bishop Thomas Wallace conducted services. The hymn, “Creating Speaks with Awful Voice”, was sung, followed by Elder Robert E. Berrett who offered the invocation. Speakers included Bishop Critchlow, Elders W.H. Wright, L.J. Herrick, Robert E. Berrett, and Bishop Wallace. The closing hymn was “Farewell, All Earthly Honors, I Bid You All Adieu”. James Barker pronounced the benediction. Interment took place in the Ogden City Cemetery.
Mary Ette Durfee   No story yet

Jabez Durfee   See story of his wife, Celestia Curtis Durfee above

No comments:

Post a Comment